Montana Skies Cowl
I like to have a couple of quick knits in my back pocket. Perfect for last minute gifting, neck warming or casting on in the dark when I can’t sleep and I haven’t got anything on my needles. I designed the Montana Skies cowl to satisfy my curiosity about these soft, saturated yarns from The Farmer’s Daughter Fibers. There are two options: the first option is lightning quick to knit and the second is a little spicier, involving some fun techniques to change up the texture. The optional middle ribbing gives the cowl a bit more structure and it adds visual interest, making the cowl look layered.
DK Weight Yarn, approximately (235) 250 yards.
For the sample shown (made in the larger size) I used The Farmer’s Daughter Fibers – one strand of sport weight and one strand of lace weight held together for the main color and a third strand of DK for the contrast color.
In the second sample pictured, I made the smaller size using Farmer’s Daughter Pishkun as the main color.*
MAIN COLOR – Recollect, Sport Weight: (100% White and Black Rambouillet in 185 yards/2 oz) Colorway: Hey Victor. I used 148 yards/ 135 meters held together with 148 yards / 135 meters of Mighty Mo, (70% Kid Mohair 30% Silk in 459 yards/ 50 grams) Colorway: WTF, Where’s the Frybread?
CONTRAST COLOR – Juicy DK, (100% Superwash Merino in 274 yards/100g) Colorway: Skoden. I used 77 yards / 70.5 meters.
22 stitches and 48 rounds= 4” in the Basket Stitch Pattern knitted in the round.
Note: the Two Color Slip Stitch Rib Pattern knits at a tighter gauge than the Basket Stitch Pattern. You’ll go up a needle size for that section to accommodate the tighter gauge.
- US Size 5 / 3.75 mm 16” circular needle, for the top ribbing.
- US Size 6 / 4mm 16” circular needle, for the basket st pattern and the bottom ribbing (optional second set for the center ribbing section).
- US Size 7 / 4.5mm 16” circular needle, for the Two Color Slip Stitch Rib Pattern (optional for doing the Two Color Slipped Stitch Pattern).
Always choose the needle size that you need in order to obtain the pattern’s gauge.
8.25” / 21 cm tall x 20.25 (21.75)” / 51.5 (55.25) cm circumference
- 1 Stitch Marker to mark BOR
- Highlighter Pen (optional – for highlighting your size’s instructions)
- Highlighter Tape (optional – to keep your place in the pattern)
- Measuring Tape
- Tapestry Needle
- Wool Wash and Blocking Mat
- Long Tail Cast On Method
- Knitting in the Round on a Circular Needle
- Mosaic/Slip Stitch Knitting
You May Also Like
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.